Thursday, September 30, 2010

Zorbing


The academy is only Monday through Thursday, so on Fridays the international students get to do an activity around Rotorua. These range from whitewater rafting (which I did a few weeks ago) and other adventure activities to cultural experiences and overnight trips around the area.

I recently went zorbing, something I had wanted to do for a while and had almost forgotten about. Zorbing is basically rolling down a hill in a giant plastic ball. Sounds implement enough, and it's quite fun. I'm in that ball somewhere in that picture.

At the top of the hill they pour in a bit of warm water into the center of the ball. Then you have to slide in "superman" style: arms out in front, and just slide on in. Definitely not great for those claustrophobics out there. Then the ball is closed up and you're inside this ball as it begins to roll down the hill. I tries standing up as Shanelle suggested, but I fell in about one second and just started rolling around. You have very little control over which way you're facing as you're tossed around rolling in several different directions. At one point I was stuck backwards for a few seconds with water constantly rushing over my head. A little freaky, but fun.

The entire experience only lasts about 45 seconds, but it's a blast. I got soaked and had swallowed a bit of water, yet it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment