Thursday, September 30, 2010

The New Zealand Sports Academy

The New Zealand Sports Academy (NZSA) is where I have been learning how to play rugby for the last few weeks. The academy is located at the Rotorua International Rugby stadium, just a short walk from my host family's home.

The academy is a one year program with an option for a second year that takes kids ages 17-25 from all around New Zealand that want to improve their game in hopes of someday playing professionally. The coaches here are world class, and the academy has a history of former athletes that have gone on to play professionally and even for the All Blacks (the national team).

A typical day at the academy had everyone arrive by 8 for a short meeting followed by two hours of weights and core work. Following a short break is classwork for the boys here (like life skills training--a lot of these boys don't have the best education backgrounds) while I have to work on skills training. Except for the first week, I have been the only international student here. It's quite a positive I have found because I get a lot of one-on-one training with ye coaches about the game's skills, strategies, and basic philosophies. That work lasts a little over an hour and is followed by lunch and then the day ends with work out on the fields with conditioning, speed/agility games, and scrimmages. It's pretty fun.

While the NZSA does take boys up to 25, the oldest ones here are 21. Most are still teenagers, some still only 17. I have to constantly remind myself how much older I am than all of these guys. Moreso, they have he maturity of middle school kids. I really feel like I'm back in 6th and 7th grade all over again. All the boys are obsessed with playing pokemon on their cell phones, and most of them don't even have email addresses. No joke. And yes this is New Zealand, not some poor third world country.

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my time. The first week was a little slower as I got introduced to things, but I've picked up the game pretty quickly and have enjoyed playing in games with the other guys here. They're very talented. And then they'll say something that reminds me how young they are. First day for example:

Boys: Where in the U.S. you from?
Me: Washington, D.C.
Boys: (completely serious) Do you know Obama?
Me: No, no I don't.

Little things like that happen all the time, and I'm sure I'll have more stories to share over the next few weeks. As for now I'm just enjoying working out with them, learning more each day, and every now and then pulling of a great fake pass that makes all the boys laugh at the one who got faked out by the newbie American guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment