Monday, May 17, 2010

Fraser Island


G'Day to everyone! Happy Monday. Since I know everyone really enjoys their Monday's at work and never looks to read stuff online to entertain themselves, I thought I'd provide a little reading material for your pleasure.


So this past weekend was my trip to Fraser Island. Fraser Island is one of the two things that every travel agency along the east coasts and anyone you talk to insists is a must-see (with the other being the Whitsundays, my adventure this upcoming weekend). Fraser Island is the world's largest sand island; and being entirely formed by sand the island actually moves about two inches out to sea each year.


I decided to book this trip on my own, which ended up being one of the best decisions I have made in a very long time. About 99.99% of people my age traveling through Australia all do the same (read: cheapest) trip to Fraser--a self-4WD trip over a couple of nights. Such trips consist of 8 people squeezed into the back of an old Toyota 4Runner with someone in the passenger seat and a driver. These drivers usually learn how to drive these cars during a 10 minute orientation the day they leave. While on Fraser you're driving right on the sand by the water, and going up to 50mph.


I thought that all sounded a little crazy, especially after all the disaster stories I heard about (a six deaths in the past year due to accidents on the island; another dozen people left paralyzed; over 150 people helicoptered off the island due to other various injuries). These groups also had to find their own camp ground, cook meals (which anyone knows is always risky coming from college-aged kids), and figure out their own itinerary and where places were).


For only $50 more, I met up with a group who had a tour guide who knew everything about this island, doubled as our experienced driver, and allowed us to stay at their campground that had warm showers, tents set up for us, and all meals prepared. The best part: my guide, a dreadlock-wearing Australian guy, was about the funniest, coolest, most experienced guide I could have imagine. I couldn't have asked for more. Better yet, while half of my group consisted of an older couple from Australia and some people from Germany and Switzerland, the half of the group that traveled in my car consisted of American college students who are studying at the University of Queensland in Brisbane. Two guys from Rutgers, one girl from Penn, Princeton, Brandeis, Conn College...you get the idea, we all got along well.


So day one consisted of taking the ferry onto the island and exploring Lake McKenzie. This lake is made entirely out of rainwater and is as clear as lakes come. It's absolutely beautiful and boasts the whitest sand I have ever seen (also good for exfoliating your skin). After a quick dip we all ventured into the rainforest that provided the picture you see above. After a nice dinner, we all enjoyed huddling around the campfire as the temperatures dipped into the 40s.


Day two was our big day. We started at Eli Creek: a freshwater creek bubbling up from the center of the island that pumps out over 2,000 liters of water an hour that eventually leads to the ocean. Perfectly clear water, and tasty too. We stopped by the Moheno shipwreck, washed up on shore almost 70 years ago after its tug rope broke on its way to Japan. We relaxed in the champagne pools (not actually champagne, wouldn't that be nice) that overlooked the ocean; and then headed to Indian Head, the highest point on the island for spectacular views up and down the beach.


Our final day had only a short trip to another lake (where, eerily, a man had drowned in only 48 hours previously...why do people try to swim when they know they can't?), and then we headed back to Rainbow Beach. The entire island is simply beyond describable at times, so please check out the pictures on facebook to get a glimpse of what I saw. Besides the scenery we spotted tons of wildlife, including 10 dingos! Sadly, I will not be bringing one home.


And that was Fraser Island! This week is a big travel week: came up to Hervery Bay today, off to 1770 tomorrow, Kroombit on Wednesday, and finally Airlie Beach on Thursday where I leave for my Whitsunday sailing adventure. Exciting times, so more updates coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment