Saturday, February 26, 2011

The time I named a sloth

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Cory. Cory came to the sloth sanctuary just a few weeks ago. Apparently Cory fell of it's mother and was found on the ground by a good samaritan and brought to the sanctuary.

I refer to Cory as it because we're still not sure what sex Cory is. Soon after Cory arrived we were told we had a new baby but that we didn't have a name. We needed one, but it needed to be gender neutral in case it turned out to be either a boy or a girl. Immediately Cory popped into my head and I suggested it. Everyone like it, and it stuck.

Cory is as adorable a sloth as you'll ever meet. Unfortunately Cory is a little on the slow side, and I mean mentally. We think he may have had some serious head trauma during his fall or was possibly born that way because man can that sloth cling. Cory has sharper claws that any other sloth I've held at Aviarios and knows how to hold on (see picture). But sometimes Cory only feels the need to use one or two limbs and is susceptible to falling off.

But we all love Cory and take turns making sure he/she receives the best of care. Tiny and adorable like all the rest, but knowing I named him/her will always be a lasting memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment